Dear federalist friends,
One year ago, the Union of
European Federalists (UEF) embarked on our “Democracy is Europe: Remember to Revive”
journey across the Baltics and Central and Eastern Europe. Two main ideas were
behind this: on one hand, to raise awareness about the central role of European
values in the revolutions of 1989-1991; on the other hand, to encourage a
reflection on the future of Europe, European democracy and the Rule of Law. After
our online stops in Germany, Hungary, Lithuania, Estonia, and our physical ones
in Gdańsk (PL) and Prague (CZ), UEF’s
#DemocracyIsEurope project is coming to an end with our final conference in
Brussels on 2-3 December 2021.
Brussels is the chosen scenario in which the project “democracy activators”, participants, stakeholders and researchers will present and discuss the outcomes of the project, commemorate membership in the EU of the aforementioned Member states, and advocate for further European integration based on the strengthening and protection of democracy and the Rule of Law.
Thursday, December 2, 2021
- 9.00 CET – House of European History tour
- 14.00 CET – The central role of European values in the revolutions of 1989-1991
- 16:00 CET – Defending and strengthening democracy in the EU
- 17.30 CET – Competition: #DemocracyIsEurope ideas for the future of Europe
Friday, December 3, 2021
- 9:30 CET – European democracy in the Conference on the Future of Europe
- 11.30 CET – How to combat disinformation & fake news
- 14.00 CET – Training “Talking about the EU at the local level
- 15.45 CET – #DemocracyIsEurope Awards Ceremony
The event is going to be a blended activity with an online and offline (in Brussels, Belgium) settings, and we are looking for international, local and online participants! For the 10 international participants who are more motivated and want to participate physically, we will cover accommodation expenses, and we will reimburse their travel fees up to 150 euros (per person). Register here and stay tuned for more details.
In the context of the Democracy is Europe project, UEF invites you to join the essay contest « 1989-1991 the fall of communist regimes: what was the idea of Europe behind the Central-Eastern European and Baltic countries’ democratic transition? ». Read on the prize and the conditions to participate here.